Friday, January 15, 2010

Sugar's Story: Part deux!


I left Sugar & her colt, recently dubbed Cinnamon, to settle in their new digs. I watched them for a while as they sniffed around the paddock. That night it finally hit me about what I was getting into. They needed shots, a good worming, bathes, hoof care, & a lot of good food. More than that they need attention & training. This was going to be some project! The time & money needed to accomplish my goal swarmed in my head but it didn't overwhelm me. What I was doing was good & I couldn't wait to get started!
The following days were spent on getting both of them acquainted with me. It turns out that although Sugar was six years old, she didn't have any training at all. (Ugh) The halter that the previous owner left on her didn't mean she was halter-broke whatsoever. It was a symbol of their carelessness to take the time to work with her. When she was willing to let me touch her face I took off the raggedy old halter. They had left it on her so long that it left sores in many places. I hoped that it wouldn't scar her beautiful face.
It didn't take the new pair long until they were both comfortable letting me touch them everywhere. In fact, both of them soon enjoyed my company & lavished the new attention. Cinnamon followed me around like a puppy dog. When I didn't give him the attention he wanted he would take off, wildly bucking. He was the cutest, furriest little fireball ever! I couldn't help to imagine what he would be when he grew up.
The next months are a blur of teaching them to pick up their feet, giving them much needed baths, & their first vet visit. When the Spring & Summer months came, their ruddy coats disappeared into lovely, shiny hair. It was a transformation to be seen! Their past is only a memory now. They are completely different horses now.
In the years, Sugar turned out to be one of the most sweetest mares I've ever worked with. Her training would have came easy if it hadn't been for her lack of confidence. What I was trying to teach her now was so new from her earlier life of doing nothing. It has taken us a longtime just to get the basics down. Even though her progress is slower than I hoped, it still brings me great joy to work with her.
The little baby fireball named Cinnamon grew into an easy going colt. He actually didn't grow much, a result of being malnourished at such a young age. His good nature & desire for attention made his training come easily. It took no time at all until he was broke to ride. Their second winter, I put both of them up for sale to see if they could find that perfect home they needed. Cinnamon was immediately scooped up by a family. The youngest daughter loves him & rides him around the yard regularly.
Sugar got some hits but nothing that really suited her. Now I realize my time spent on finding her that perfect home was wasted. Sugar had already found it here.
Last year I rode her in a few clinics & even took her to her first shows. At every outing she showed like a star! (I'm being maybe a little biased!) My heart fills with pride everytime I think about that mare & how far she's come. She's not the size, color, or even gender that I prefer but I will not dare to think about not having her in my life.

No comments: