Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sugar's Story


It's been over a year since I thought about blogging & never got around to doing it! Now, this string of awful winter weather has forced me to get around to things that I've set aside. (You should see my spotless house!) So for my first post I wanted to write about a horse that needs her story told. I met her almost five years ago to the day at an auction & I can still remember that first glance at her.
We first heard of this estate auction from a friend. She knew the seller & that he had a herd of Arabian horses. The man's financials were a wreck so he could no longer afford his horses. I was interested in taking on a project horse so I visited his farm the day before the auction to see what he had. When I first walked onto his farm I was shocked. The seller had about a dozen mares, all with foals, in a tiny pen with mud up to their knees.
They were all skinny, unkept, & eating moldy hay. My heart sank as I inspected them closely. Most of the broodmares were covered in lice, ringworm, & rain rot. They were all sweet & didn't mind me walking around them at all. They were too intent of eating whatever they could! However, the babies were wild! The foals were like fuzzy rabbits & bounced around every time I got close.
The seller talked about how they were out of prestigious bloodlines. I pretended to listen but really didn't care. He was so delusional that I wondered if he even knew how terrible his herd looked. The more that man talked, the angrier I got. I didn't stay long because I thought I might snap & strangle him.
I made notes in my head about what order of horses I would bid. First, the more experienced horse was an older gray mare. Next, a younger gray mare with nice size & a flashy bay colt on her side. Finally, a very typey chestnut mare with a super cute colt. I knew they all would be big projects but how could I not give them a chance?
The next morning, I arrived just before the auction started. The ignoramus seller was over by his stallions talking them up to a small crowd. I had only glanced at the studs the day before. They were in about the same sad state like the mares. I was too depressed to even take a closer look. I went over to the mare pen & stayed there until the auction started.
As the auction went, my first two pics went for the most money. I figured that would happen as they were the best of the group. The two gray mares went to a nice looking family. I hoped that all of them went to good homes. Then my chestnut pair came through. They hardly looked up to the commotion, too content on eating whatever was left of the hay. I was the only bidder as they were one of the last horses to go through. A whopping $75 a piece & they were mine.
Afterwards, I talked a little more to the seller & got all the information I could on my new pair. He offered to help my load but I kindly refused. Incidentally, they loaded just fine. I imagined they knew what was happening & were happy to leave!
More to come on their arrival, etc.! It's bedtime now so stayed tuned for part duex!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am excited to hear more!!